Named for Pantone?s Fushcia #203 to show her love of vibrant hues, Swedish designer Sophia Edstrand?s line, Sophia 203, embraces creativity, color and craftsmanship. An education in Paris and time spent working with Marie-Helene de Taillac primed Edstrand with design and production expertise, while time in Jaipur awakened the designer?s vision for her pieces that are bright and lively with color, butterflies, hearts, stars and flowers. The handcrafted aspect of the accessories line is of utmost importance to Edstrand, who believes ?handmade products?represent the ultimate luxury.?
1. How did you decide to use butterflies, hearts, stars and flowers as your signature looks?
I am very inspired by jewelry and I like the idea of reworking motives that have been used in the world of jewelry, and to reinterpret them in my own way.
2. What was it about India that inspired you?
India and its people have seduced me in so many ways. I was particularly fascinated by the traditional handicraft, its diversity and the fact that the skills have been passed on for generations. I find that very beautiful.
3. What did you learn from Marie-Helene de Taillac that aids in your design skills?
Marie Helene taught me how to work and not to give yourself any creative limitations. To try and not to give up until it?s perfect. For that I am eternally grateful.
4. You learned about the embroidery technique in bazaars of Jaipur. What was it about the technique that was most interesting to you?
I had never seen anything like it, though it?s quite different to what I have developed now. I love the texture and the softness of it.
5. You regularly spend 6 months in Jaipur. What other habits do you have when it comes to the design process?
I find Jaipur very inspiring, and I really find my peace to create here. When I start I don't stop - I go on working evenings and nights for days. I am lucky to be able to do what I love, so I don't have any other distractions! Of course I also get very inspired during my travels.
6. Which four pieces from L-atitude are your favorite?
A FOR APPLE, Black Wrap-Around Kids' Hat
For my nephew that will grace us with his presence very soon. He almost has all his outfits planned out until the age of 5, and he is not yet born! I think this is a great gift for people that have everything.
KASHMIR LOOM, Rainbow All-Over Pashmina